DWI (driving while intoxicated) or DUI (driving under the influence) accidents are commonly associated with alcohol. However, you can be also charged for driving under the influence of substances such as marijuana.
In fact, it is not only DWI by marijuana in Texas or car accidents DUI of marijuana that will get you penalized. Mere possession of the substance can send you behind bars quite quickly. If you are found guilty for any of these charges, you can get serious punishment including imprisonment, monetary penalties, and other sorts of punishments.
As per the Texas Penal Code, a person can be charged with DWI if they possess or use the drug in a quantity that’s higher than the legalized limit. However, there is no prescribed limit for marijuana dosage in Texas laws as yet.
Penalties for DWI by marijuana in Texas are usually the same notwithstanding the type of drug that you are under the influence of. This implies that if a person is charged for DWI by Marijuana in Texas and it is found out that they were previously charged for DWI by alcohol, this particular incident will be considered their second time and the penalty will depend on the same.
How Can Personal Injury Attorneys in Texas Help
The personal injury lawyers in Amarillo Texas associated with The Warner Law Firm are qualified, knowledgeable, and experienced enough to help you seek compensation against a drunk driver that has harmed you or your vehicle.
Here’s what the lawyers will do for you.
- The personal injury attorney who you hire will get all the details of the DWI accident you were caught in and try to find out the extent of the DWI driver’s intoxication or impairment.
- They will then check the criminal record of the person you are suing for damages to confirm whether or not they are repeat offenders. This helps them make your case stronger.
- Next, an accident report will be obtained and the witnesses will be called upon to talk and gather proof for court hearings.
- If there is an entity or person other than the driver who is equally responsible, such as a business or employer, your personal injury lawyer will probe the extent of their liability. They will look into their connection to the person involved in a DWI by Marijuana like providing the drug, employing them etc.
- Your lawyer will give you enough time to tell and learn all that you have to about the accident. They will listen to you patiently and analyze how the accident has affected you.
- If a DWI accident causes a fatality in your family, your attorney will want to know everything; from your relationship to the extent of damage the death has brought to you and your family.
3. Support and Fight
Of course, insurance companies handle cases including DWI by marijuana in a manner that limits the settlement amount and the amount victims are allowed to receive in auto accidents. Your personal injury lawyer will find out ways to get you maximum personal injury compensation, regardless of the efforts of the insurance company.
Looking for a reliable law firm in Amarillo Texas to fight a DWI case for you? Get in touch with Mike at The Warner Law Firm today!